Carload Express, parent company of the Allegheny Valley (AVR), Southwest Pennsylvania (SWP), Camp Chase (CCRA), and Ohio Terminal (OHIO) railroads, has submitted a proposal to operate rail lines owned by the SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority (the JRA) in Central Pennsylvania. The selected rail operator would commence operations over the JRA’s lines on July 1, 2017. The JRA expects to make a decision to select an operator on July 8, 2015.
In addition to our written proposal, Carload Express made a presentation to the JRA on May 4, 2015. Our PowerPoint presentation, Change Worth Making, is available at our website on www.carloadexpress.com/news.
In our presentation, we highlight our proposal’s increase in safety, increase in track maintenance, increase in rail freight service, and increase in marketing and industrial development strength.
If Carload Express is selected as operator:
- The SEDA-COG’s eight-county region gains a quantum leap in rail safety, by reducing rail injuries and train accident risks
- The JRA gains $9.3 million of new operating fees, and $16.9 million of new track maintenance (over the seven-year contract term)
- Rail employee wages increase 20%, and we introduce overtime pay after 40-hours per week (at time-and-a-half)
- Shippers on JRA lines receive more frequent rail service – 77% more weekly trips, and the introduction of overnight rail service
- Communities benefit from a safe, efficient operator with an excellent track record for growth – 37% annual average growth over the last 5 years!
We thank the JRA for the opportunity to participate in this historic process.
About Carload Express
Carload Express, Inc. operates four shortline railroads: The Allegheny Valley Railroad (AVR) and Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad (SWP) serving western Pennsylvania, the Camp Chase Railroad (CCRA) serving central Ohio, and the Ohio Terminal Railway (OHIO) serving the Ohio River Valley bordering Ohio and West Virginia. Our dedicated, locally based management is able to offer timely and flexible service demanded by today’s fast paced supply chains while offering the inherent economies of scale that rail shipping provides. Our multiple connections to the North American rail system allow our customers to enjoy competitive freight routing options, lowering their overall shipping costs.
Carload Express, Inc. plays an important role in the communities we serve by transporting many of the basic goods used in everyday life such as the paper we read, the food we eat, the bricks, steel, and lumber we use for homebuilding, and the energy that supplies power for those homes. The 50,000 shipments we handle annually equate to roughly 200,000 fewer trucks on local highways each year, lowering congestion and road maintenance costs while significantly reducing carbon emissions and greenhouse gases.
Learn more at www.carloadexpress.com